Sunday, April 24, 2011

A reason for revision

Yesterday I was talking to one of my friends and he mentioned that he is looking for music for a concert coming up in July.  The ensemble has an interesting instrumentation: flute, clarinet, violin, cello and piano. However, I do not have any pieces for that type of ensemble.  He told me that a subset of the ensemble would work as well.  I started thinking about Off you go... for flute, cello and percussion.

Off you go... is one of my favorite pieces that I have composed.  I have been thinking about expanding it into a large scale work for years now.  I have also considered changing the percussion part to a piano part.  This concert opportunity gives me a good excuse to take another look at the piece and change it to a flute, cello and piano composition.

This change is not at all difficult to do as most of the percussion part is for the vibraphone.  I would need to recompose the sections that use suspended cymbal and brake drums.  That should not be hard.  The main priority would be to keep the same or similar rhythmic ideas.  I do have a couple of ideas of what to do in those sections.

The ensemble director would need the score soon to decide if they want to program the piece.  So basically I have until the end of April, in other words this week, to get it done.  I am confident that I can have it done on Saturday to send to my friends so he could pass it along.

No comments: