Wednesday, June 29, 2011

bicemusic.com: Page added - Play Ball!

Play Ball! was my first attempt at encoding baseball statistics into music.  The process I developed was similar to twelve-tone music; however the primary difference is that not all twelve notes of the chromatic scale were used.  Essentially I selected two sets of fifteen of the “most important” baseball stats.  One set for batters and one set for pitchers.  Then I selected a player and a season upon which I would build my “tone row.”  For this piece I selected different players for the different instruments.  Similar to twelve-tone music the “row” would be played prior to the repetition of the “row.”

Even after all these year I am still uncertain as to how well the process works.  Play Ball! is a fun piece and there are moments that I really enjoy.  However without further exploration into this technique I really do not know if it is a viable method.

The recording available on the page is taken from the most recent performance in the Spring of 2004.  A score is also available as a PDF File.  You can view the page through the chamber music submenu of the Compositions tab or by clicking the link below.

http://bicemusic.com/?page_id=465

No comments: