Saturday, September 11, 2010

Composing Session: September 9, 2010

On Thursday I began the sketch score for Time in Memoriam.  Earlier in the week I completed the diagrammatic sketch which I am using as a guide for the music.  I started with composing the first sound wall which comprises the first eight measures.  Before I continued I revisited another wind ensemble sketch, Fate of the Future, which I began in 2001.  I have already decided to take the opening melody from this sketch and use it as a primary theme in the second half of the A section.  As I flipped through the score I came across a brass theme that was to start another, faster section of Fate of the Future.  I played through it, as best as I can, on my keyboard.  I think will be a great fit for the beginning of the B section for Time in Memoriam.


I began to work on the B section.  Currently it is slated to be a seven-part rondo form.  However, that could easily change as I continue to work on this section.  I stopped after sketching the first twenty-four measures of the B section.  In part because it was time to stop and do other things.  Also, I wanted to think about how I want this section to develop.  It is likely that the seven-part rondo form is not the right choice for this section.  Making this change will not really affect the music I have sketched, but it will affect the music I will sketch.

No comments: