Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Diagrammatic Sketch Done

Yesterday I finished the sketch portion of the diagrammatic sketch for Time in Memoriam.  This sketch consists of colors and shapes that represent the contours and groupings for the music in this piece.  The spatial relationships of the shapes represent the approximate placement and duration that will occur in the piece.

Today I was able to finish the other portion of the sketch: the labeling.  To facilitate this I placed overhead transparencies over the color sketch and used wet-erase markers to label and describe the various shapes.  I use the transparencies because I may decide to change my mind about what I label.  I can easily erase the markings and rewrite them.  Also, this allows me to not ruin the full-color sketch with these markings.

The advantage of a sketch like this is that I now have a good idea of the scope and shape of Time in Memoriam.  The sketch is to be used as a reference.  If I feel that sections need to be cut or added then I can choose to do so.  It is not necessary to revise the diagrammatic sketch if I make changes.  The point of this sketch is to be used as a pre-compositional device.  It does not need to reflect the final version of the piece.

No comments: