Monday, September 13, 2010

Minor Changes

As I have been composing Time in Memoriam I have realized that one of my goals for this piece is unreasonable.  My intent was for the majority of the melodic and thematic material to be derived from the Dies Irae sequence.  While the sequence is distinct and familiar to most, it is not varied enough for me to draw out a wide variety of "interesting" melodic material.

In addition the musical material I am taking from Fate of the Future was not derived from the Dies Irae sequence.  The primary similarity between the music and the sequence is the mode.  Both are composed in the minor mode.

I am not abandoning the idea of using the Dies Irae sequence to derive primary and supporting music.  I still think that the sequence will lend itself well to the concept of the piece.  Based on the sketches that I have been working on, the sequence yields limited material.  This is why I have changed my plan and will not be basing all of the music in Time and Memoriam on the Dies Irae.

No comments: