Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Goals for Composing: September 27-October 3, 2010

In a post last week I talked about getting back to basics.  So I decided to try something.  Long term goals just do not seem to work for me.  I often lose focus or the bigger picture makes me overwhelmed.  I find that for the most part the Listening Journal helps to keep me accountable for listening.  As a matter of fact I am listening to Xenakis's Palimpsest as I write this.  With this in mind, I thought I would make and post weekly goals for composing.

My goals this week are simple.  I want to finish the fourth movement of Trackings No. 2.  I will also sketch the "interlude" between the first two sound walls at the beginning of Time in Memoriam.

With things slowing down for me outside of work I believe that these goals are easily attainable.  The fourth movement of Trackings No. 2 is about fifty percent complete.  Most of the work that needs to be don is the transition before the return of the A section.  After that the rest will just easily flow together.

We shall see if this new approach will help to keep me on track and make me more accountable for composing.

No comments: