Sunday, October 17, 2010

A different approach to the composing process

With the new direction in the musical material of the opening I find that I may need to change my approach in composing Time in Memoriam.  The opening is now much more textural with a focus on timbre.  As a result I am thinking that a basic sketch score prior to orchestrating will not work.

With a focus on timbre the orchestration is a very important aspect of the piece.  The development of the music over time is dependent on what instruments are playing what notes.  Instrumental combination will also influence the timbre and flow.  This is why I am considering doing the majority of the composition of Time in Memoriam in Finale.  I will be able to hear, in a way, the timbral effects composed and the be able to make more informed choices about how to proceed.

While this is not the ideal method of composing, I do feel as if it may be a necessary evil based on the stylistic choices I have made.  After all, the end product is much more important that the process I use to get there.

No comments: