Friday, October 8, 2010

Sketching ideas

I have been racking my brain as to how to proceed from the opening sound wall in Time and Memoriam.  I have tried to conceptualize different possibilities.  As soon as I think I might have a good idea, I begin to realize that it might not fit with the surrounding music.  In spite of this I have decided to continue to sketch these ideas.  After all, it could turn out that some of these ideas may be integrated somewhere else in the piece.  In addition, I believe that working through these ideas will eventually lead me to ideas which I will include.

Yesterday, I was working on some rhythmic ideas to follow the first sound wall.  Right now I am not convinced that these ideas will work in this section, but I kept working on it never-the-less.  I do like the concept of this idea.  It is an eighth-note triplet motif with long tones above.  Even if this does not work in this section, I think that there are a couple of other places in which this may work.  This is an example of why I think sketching ideas, even if they night not work, is a good practice.

No comments: