Sunday, October 17, 2010

Modification

I have been struggling with what to write between the sound walls in the opening section of Time in Memoriam.  I tried a few different ideas and none of the seemed to work for me.  On Wednesday I was listening to Kaija Saariaho's Lichtbogen and it gave me some ideas.  At the time the issue with these ideas was that they would require me to rewrite the opening.  This would mean no sound walls at the beginning. I was fine with this as I would be able to move on with the piece and I thought about how to use the sound walls later in the piece.

On Thursday I listened to Saariaho's Solar and I heard something at the beginning of this piece that showed me how I could the sound walls in this new approach.  My original intent was to have a driving pulse underneath long tones.  I have eliminated the pulse and the rhythmic motion is now created through figuration in the mallet percussion.

The other primary change is in the tempo.  I have essentially cut the tempo in half from a quarter-note pulse at 96-108 to a quarter-note pulse at 54.  This new tempo is dictated by the "interlude" material I have composed to go between the sound walls.

As of right now the rest of the form and plan for this piece is still intact.  However, as always, I may nee to make some modifications as I continue to write this piece.

No comments: