Thursday, October 28, 2010

Through the soundwalls

Today I finished the first section of Time in Memoriam.  This is the section containing the soundwalls I have described in previous posts.  This section consists of approximately the first three minutes of music.  My goal for this section is to set up the sound world and some of the thematic material in the piece.

Following this section I am going to include what was the opening section of Fate of the Future.  This was a wind ensemble piece I started back in 2001, but never spent much time on.  This section features a solo line in the oboe, which I am going to move to the clarinet.  To me the counter point in this section is very interesting and I hope to continue in that was as I work on Time in Memoriam.

I am still trying to figure out if I need to create an "intro" to this next section or if I should start in with the solo line.  I keep going back and forth on this issue.  At times I think that I could just go into the solo line.  Other time I think it would be better to compose a bridge or intro so that this section will have a different start to it than the opening of the piece.  However, I do not know in what way I should approach the bridge.

No comments: