Saturday, October 2, 2010

Score completed for Trackings No. 2, movement 4

Today I finished the score for the fourth movement of Trackings No. 2.  This movement titled "Arching" is just under two minutes in duration.  My main goal of the day was to figure out in what way I wanted this movement to end. I thought about ending small where the cello and bass would peter out with the pizzicato oscillation.  I felt that in order to do this type of ending justice I would need to add between four and eight more measures.  This would have pushed this movement over two minutes.  This would not work because one of the parameters under which I am composing is that each movement is under two minutes in duration.  Also, after I thought about it more this type of ending would not do the movement justice.  Ending "big" was my best option.  I made some changes to the transition that leads back to the recap and pout an eighth note tag on the end to create an abrupt ending.

The big change I made today was to the oscillation at the beginning of the movement.  Originally the oscillation start with the movement.  I began to feel as if there was too much going on at the beginning.  So I took the six-note, two-measure melody I had composed the other day and included it at the beginning (measures 1-8) and at the recap (measures 38-45)

Today I went through and included all of the phrasing, dynamics and expressions.  This movement is done... for now.  As always I may make some changes later on if I decide that it is necessary.  Right now this movement is in good shape.  All that is left to compose in this piece is movements three, five and six.

No comments: