Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Feeling Nostalgic

I do not know if it is because I am composing wind ensemble music for a high school or just reflecting, but I have been feeling a little nostalgic for my high school days.  In particular I have been going back and listening to the music I liked in those days.  I have realized that my taste in classical music has changed dramatically.  Much of the music I would listen to was by composers like Brahms, Richard Strauss or Bach.  While I still appreciate and listen to those composers I tend to listen to more modern composers like Ligeti, Messiaen and Saariaho.

My taste in popular music has changed however I still listen to some of the same artists as I did back then.  The difference is that I have allowed (more like required) myself to expand my horizons and try new things.  So while I do not listen to a lot of the music that I did in high school, I do still like it and bring it out from time to time.

I do find this sense of nostalgia amusing.  At the same time I can appreciate it.  It has, in a sense, brought me back to where I began.  It also allows me to revisit some music I have not heard in year.  All this has given me some interesting ideas for Time in Memoriam.

In spirt of the simpler times of high school, I have no desire to relive my high school days.  While my life is a struggle at times, I would not trade it for anything.

No comments: