Friday, July 30, 2010

Composing Session: July 29, 2010

Yesterday I was able to spend a couple of hours composing.  My time was split between two different projects.  First I began sketching ideas for my next wind ensemble piece, Time in Memoriam.  Then I spent time working on the second movement of Trackings No. 2 for cello, double bass and piano.

Part of my concept for Time in Memoriam is to use the Dies Irae sequence as the basis for deriving melodies and themes I will use.  Not all material will be derived from this sequence, because I feel that it would be too limiting.  However, the primary material will come from the derivations of this sequence.  Currently, I am only in the initial stage of composing this piece.  That means writing notes about what I want to accomplish and sketching various preliminary ideas.

In the original sketch for this movement of Trackings No. 2 there are two sections.  The first is a 3/4 meter in which parts have a quasi-waltz-like feel.  The second part is in a 4/4 meter and uses the material presented as long tones at the beginning of the movement as melodic fragments (in shorter rhythmic durations, of course!).

In working with this sketch I decided to take advantage of the pseudo-waltz and try to make that an integral part of the movement.  As a result I decided to cut the final ten measures since I felt as if they did not add anything to the movement.  I do plan on expanding the section prior to the measures I cut.  So I will regain those measures while filling out the movement.

No comments: