Saturday, July 17, 2010

Program notes for 4-5

The title 4-5 is a reference to the intervals upon which the thematic material for the piece is built. This was the first piece I composed when I began working towards my doctorate in music composition at the University of Oregon. While composing this piece I experiment with the intervals and interval groups in the fourth to fifth prograssion. I combines the notes in various ways ultimately leading to the ppitch collection upon which the ostinato is built. Not being a piano player I was uncertain at time about what types of things are possible to play. At the same time I felt free try different things because I would not get caught up in my own limits had I been a pianist.

Until now this piece has fallen into the category of my music called “The Best Works Never Performed.” Unfortunately I have a couple of other pieces that fall into this category. Hopefully I can remedy that one day.

No comments: