Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Composing Session: July 3 & 5, 2010

This holiday weekend I made a lot of progress towards finishing Night Sky.  As the piece stands right now, the form is complete and there are only a couple of sections to edit.  After that all that is left is to enter in the dynamics and expressions.

The primary thing that I am looking for at this stage of editing is consistency.  Am I being consistent with the doublings?  Am I being consistent with the register in which the instrument is playing?  To me there are  important questions because I do not want the piece to be "all over the place."  I am certain that band directors look at these types of things when shopping for a new piece.  In addition the piece will sound better when these elements are consistent.

While looking through Night Sky for inconsistencies I did find problems with the introduction.  The main problem lies within the doublings.  Throughout the piece I have tried to stick to the suggestions that were recommended to me by Adam Noel.  For example the bass clarinet, baritone sax and tuba tend to play together.  Also the bassoon, tenor sax and baritone tend to play together.  As Adam has told me these are only suggestions and not rules.  However, since I have been following these suggestions throughout the piece I wanted to make sure I apply them to the introduction.  This was an easy fix.

Editing the introduction is the last major issue that I needed to address.  The dynamics and expressions are pretty much complete.  They just need to be entered into Finale.  I am sure that there will be other little things I will want to tweak.  Otherwise the piece is in good shape.

No comments: