Friday, July 23, 2010

Performance blog: 8th Annual Festival of Contemporary Music - July 17, 2010

It has been just over seven years since I completed my last piano piece.  This past Saturday, July 17th, after waiting just over seven years this piece titled 4-5 finally received its premiere.  Stacey Barelos, a friend of mine from Bowling Green State University, performed the piece.

I have to say that I am happy with the performance.  Stacey did a great job performing a rather difficult piece.  4-5 is not an easy piece.  This is due in part to the fact that I am not a pianist.  In composing this piece I was unhindered by my abilities as a pianist.  At times I found myself asking "can a pianist do this...?" as opposed to "well, I cannot play this so I will not write it."  In many ways this is liberating, yet it is confining as I may compose sections that are doable, but very difficult.

Stacey stepped up and gave a wonderful performance of 4-5.  I feel as if she learned this piece quite well considering we were unable to work together in a rehearsal.  Some section were not as fast as I would have likes.  However, I would rather have a strong performance at a slightly slower tempo, than a sloppy performance at the marked tempo.

No comments: