Monday, May 16, 2011

Beginning a new piece

On Saturday I began work on a new piece.  I am composing this piece for Greer Ellison, a flautist who lives in the San Francisco Bay Area.  I met Greer a couple of years ago when I composed Shadows of Dreams for the flute ensemble she conducts at the University of California at Santa Cruz.  The title of the  piece is Flit and will be for solo flute.  I chose this title because of the light and quick nature of some of the motivic and thematic ideas I began to work with.

Starting a new piece is always fun.  There are so many possibilities for the piece.  There are lots of new ideas to try and old ideas to develop in a different way.  My hope is that this piece will come together more easily than Time in Memoriam.  That was a piece that underwent a few formal revisions before growing into its final form.

I am looking forward to getting into this piece.  This is definitely a more intimate piece opposed to the couple of wind ensemble pieces I have composed recently.

No comments: