Monday, May 9, 2011

Scraping a sketch

Today I sat down to work on the 3rd movement of Trackings No. 2.  This piece is in collaboration with photographer Micheal Vickers.  Originally the sketch for this movement focused a lot on natural harmonics.  I had kept this in because I thought it would make for an interesting and colorful movement.  After spending some time with it today, I realized that it was not worth keeping.  I did not care for the harmonic world I created.

Sure, I could have salvaged some of the material and made it better.  I thought about it, but decided it was not worth my time.  Instead, I decided to bring back the sketch that was going to be the final movement until I decided to end the piece is a different style.

I think this other sketch will allow me to create some good, contrasting material to the movements that will be around it.

No comments: