Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Composing Session: May 24, 2011

I spent some time on Tuesday trying a different approach to Flit.  While is was my anniversary I found myself with about an hour of free time.  So I decided to work on a couple of things.  The approach I took this time was more lyrical.  There was a flute theme I dropped from Time in Memoriam that I thought I would like to try to expand.  I composed a four measure introduction and then moved into the melody.  The only issue I have with this melody is that I keep hearing it in my head as I had it orchestrated.  I am having a hard time hearing it as a solo melody.

While the lyrical approach was a good way to look at this piece, I feel like it does not capture my intent as an opening.  It is likely that I will use this lyrical material later on.  I do think that this piece will need a slower, more lyrical section.  I have not yet decided if Flit will be a single-movement or a multi-movement piece.  Nevertheless there will be a couple of distinct sections.

No comments: