Saturday, May 14, 2011

Feasibility of Performance

As I have been working on Trackings No. 2 I have been thinking about the ensemble.  This piece is composed for cello, double bass and piano.  This is an uncommon ensemble and I have been wondering is it the right ensemble?  Like all composers my hope is that this piece will receive multiple performances.  With this instrumentation I wonder about that.  The thought of changing the instrumentation has crossed my mind, but to what?

I guess I could re-score it for a piano trio of either violin, cello and piano or clarinet, cello or piano.  Neither of these ensembles really excite me for this piece.  After some deliberation I wonder should I really care?  I mean of course I want this piece to be performed, but the instrumentation is not too off-the-wall.  I figure I will leave it as a cello, double bass and piano piece for now.

I am not ruling out any instrumentation changes.  I am just saying that right now I do not feel it necessary to take the time to make the changes.  However, if a performance opportunity arises for a different instrumentation that would work for this piece, then I will change the instrumentation.

No comments: