Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Rehearsal Blog: Night Sky - May 25, 2011

Today I went to Joaquin Moraga Intermediate School in Moraga, CA for a rehearsal with the concert band for my piece Night Sky.  This was a very interesting experience.  As a composer I have not worked with performers of this age group.  I did not know what to expect.  I did enjoy watching my friend Adam Noel lead the rehearsal.  Though we were classmates as undergraduates, it was the first time that I got to watch him conduct.

I feel as if the group is doing a good job with my piece.  They seem to have the notes down, so most of my comments were directed towards the group playing as an ensemble.  Playing together as a group can be difficult at any level.  This group seems a little ways off in this department.  This is something that will be learned as they gain more experience.  With some more rehearsal over the next week I believe that the piece will sound good at the concert.  I am definitely looking forward to the concert.

No comments: