Thursday, May 26, 2011

Opening Strong

Yesterday I sat down and composed the first fourteen measures of Flit for flute.  When I started to work on this piece again I really thought about my concept of the piece.  What did I want it to convey?  What is the spirit of the piece?  When I think of the words flit or flitter I think about birds.  In particular hummingbirds and how they would suddenly change direction in flight or stop and hover.  This is similar to the spirit of what I am trying to capture.  I am not trying to create the imagery of hummingbirds, rather essence or lightness of their mannerisms.

With this concept in mind, I took another look at the sketches I had created and arranged fragments in various combinations.  This process focused on the motives that encapsulated the concept I wanted.  The piece starts off with some short figures connected to long notes.  I did not want too many notes at the beginning,  My intent is to build upon the motivic and harmonic material over time.

I am happy with the start of the opening section.  The figuration is a little more thought out and will hopefully lend itself to better development over time.

No comments: